She blurted out, "Can't you just tell us the answer?"
It's a typical response in most math classrooms. Teachers present a new idea and then ask what is meant to be a thought provoking question. Some students accept the challenge. They love being challenged. They thrive on being able to get the answer. However, many wait for the answer to surface never really engaging intellectually. They don't like the challenge.
I asked an open question hoping to get the students thinking. For the most part the Grade 12 students were engaging intellectually. Soon afterward a possible solution to the question surfaced. Everyone seemed to be on board.
How do you know you are right? They weren't expecting that. My class is a bit different but this was totally unexpected. I've learned to be patient and dig deeper. The answer isn't what I'm after. Do they really understand, I mean really understand. I use to think that once the answered surfaced the rest of the class would hear, see, then understand. Foolish of me to think that.
I had some students tell the class what they were thinking. The conversation was pretty good. When that happens I'm pretty sure the right connections are being made. But I never affirmed their responses and that bothered her. Finally she blurted it out!
It's only day 3 with them but I've already started to make headway.
No comments:
Post a Comment